Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My 1st Pre Labor Pain & Contraction Experience

Two nights ago (Sunday - May 19, 2013) at around 9.30pm, I felt it - shooting pain and tightening sensation in my abdomen and some strain in my pelvis. I actually thought this was going to be it, the contraction that will lead me into my labor chapter.

I had felt something similar the day before that (though not as strong) when we were at the mall doing our last minute baby shopping. That pulling of a pain made me just have the sudden urge to press my hands against the wall and straighten my body and back until it went away. Of course my husband spotted this sudden movement from the other corner of the store and came rushing. But by the time he got to me, I will fine and didn't think much of it, until it happened last night just after dinner at my mom's.

To be safe, we rushed straight to the Emergency Room, to get me and the baby in me checked. As soon as I got in, they pushed me to the labor room and latched onto Continuous Cardiotocographic (CTG) machine to check the baby's heart rate and monitor fetal movement while the staff nurse contacted my Ob/Gyn.

I had just felt another contraction at this point while lying in one of the labor rooms strapped to the CTG machine,
hence the stunned look on my face.
My husband has impeccable timing when it comes to capturing the moment, don't you think?

My Ob/Gyn arrived within half an hour and, by that time, I was almost done with the CTG and during that time, I managed to also write a letter to my honeybun [it was just something I felt I needed to do at that moment in time]. 

All I could see were squiggly lines coming out from the CTG print machine that meant squat to me, but when my Ob/Gyn looked at them, she assured me that I was showing signs of pre labor contractions. Pre labor contractions? You mean, that was not it? It was just a prelude of what's to come? How much longer till the real pain kicks in? They were already painful enough... and as if that was not enough, I also had serious back pain and no control of my bladder and the discharge or the stinging sensation when I pass urine.

Apparently, this added information of other symptoms caused a little concern from my Ob/Gyn who immediately suggested I get "checked in" to the hospital so that I can be under observation and close monitoring, especially for more contraction signs. I guess she could also see that I was struggling to walk properly as well. I could not say no as she had that concerned look on her face and she knows best... and nothing is more important at the moment than the safety of the little munchkin inside of me, so if being hospitalized is something that is in our best interest, I will get hospitalized. Work and everything else can wait. I have my priorities at this point and nothing is more important that seeing this through.

So here I am... Lying in bed at the hospital for two days now (yes, still admitted and under observation) while being monitored every few hours. I have had a couple of tightening-like contractions (and they hurt!), but they are not at regular or close intervals. Most importantly, I am getting that long overdue rest that I kept putting off and so need. Not sure how much longer I will be staying at the hospital though or if the baby is planning to come out or make me wait a little longer...

I have to admit that since I've been hospitalized, and banned from working or stressful activities (by both my Ob/Gyn and my husband), I feel so much more relaxed and calm and the baby's kicks not so much that aggressive. She seems happier and relaxed somehow (I can tell from the ultrasound, especially the one from this morning)... she's back to becoming my smiley little munchkin! :) 

Okay, okay... My bad. Maybe I have stressed her too much in my efforts to not let my pregnancy affect my work since the pregnancy news came, but how much longer can I keep doing that right? I've already settled what needs to be done and delegate what needs to be looked into etc etc etc. It is time to let work take care of work as it's apparent that the work load will never end... Even as I clear what needs to be cleared, new projects keep popping up... that's the nature of the business.

In my condition at the moment, my priority is definitely my little queen - family first! After all, we are sooooo close to the finish line. It is not a difficult choice and anyone would clearly make the same one. And any boss would be able to understand that... the rest, I will leave it in God's hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment