Sunday, April 21, 2013

Little Miss Territorial

An unbelievable incident happened this weekend...

My hubby, Kevin and I had just gone shopping for some baby stuff and I decided to buy "Philips Avent 2-in-1 combined steamer-blender" at the store since it was at 25% discount. Yeah, I know, I know, I know... It's still way too early since the baby is not even born yet and I'm already months ahead thinking and worrying about her solid food intake.

Anyhoo, we live in a condo (high up on the 17th floor) - therefore, our elevator ride up or down is usually filled with many people. Hence, when we were making our way back to our condo, after we were done with some shopping for baby of course, there was a lady and her daughter (should be no older than 2 years old) who also took the elevator up with us. The lady pressed 16th floor, which meant that we have company in the lift as they lived one floor below us.

Kevin was carrying the combined steamer-blender in a bag. I guess the box was transparent enough for the little girl to see through and recognize the item or a picture of the baby eating pureed food on the box cover. Once she made the association, I guess she was excited and kept pointing to the bag my husband was carrying shouting "Baby, baby, baby" again and again.


I guess at that point, the lady felt it necessary to explain to us that she also has the product at home and her daughter seems to recognize it. Hence, her sudden outburst of excitement.

Throughout the conversation the lady was having with me, I noticed the little girl's excitement suddenly stopped as her eyes stared directly at my bulging belly. No more shouting and pointing. She had a sulked look on her face (the kind where a kid gets when they have just been scolded by someone for doing something wrong) as her eyes stayed glued to my belly for at least another 20 seconds. Then she bowed her head (as if in shame) and looked down at the floor, turned to face her mother (with her back at me) almost in tears.

The little girl's mother was still talking to me and did not notice the sudden change in her daughter's behavior at all, but both Kevin and I did.

And as soon as they both got out of the elevator on the 16th floor, Kevin and I were like "Wow! Did what I think happen just happened? Was that her doing from inside the womb?". 

So, what do you think happened???

No comments:

Post a Comment